Blyth Articles

In recent times Blyth has been a major port and industrial centre.

In medieval times the river was still as nature had created it, even being fordable at the modern quayside area. Small-scale coal mining took place around Blyth and Cowpen which fuelled a small salt-making industry. Fishing also took place from the natural harbour.

The investment made in the town by the new landholders of 1723, the Ridley family, was the start of the growth of modern Blyth. This was especially so into the second half of the 19th century with the creation of a deep harbour to handle the coal shipments from the productive deep mines being sunk in the area. Other trades accompanied this growth, including a major shipbuilding enterprise. The population and building development steadily increased until by the 21st century Blyth was home to 37,000 people.

River Blyth Connections
Various Blyth Facts and quirky Information
Blyth Statistics

Pre Industrial

Landholding in SE Northumberland Middle Ages
Horton Castle
Newsham Mansion
1552 Measures of Defence Against Reivers
Dollicks Pond at Cowpen
Cowpen 1619 Division and Enclosure
Boundary Stones
Blyth under Attack from the Might of the Dutch Navy
Plessey Wagonway

19th Century

Ford across the River Blyth at Cowpen
Sidneys of Cowpen
Link House Blyth
Blyth during the Napoleonic Wars 1793-1815
Waterloo Road Blyth
Captain William Smith dicovery of Antartica Island
Bedlington Wagonways
Water Works
Cowpen Alkali Works
The Blyth Isabella Pit Early Days
George Baker Forster Viewer of Cowpen Colliery
The Thomas Knight Hospital and Medical Provision in Blyth
Blyth Quayside Heritage Trail
Seaton Delaval Collieries
Cinemas and Theatres of Blyth
Laying the Foundation Stone for Blyth Library
Rowing on the River Blyth
Opening of New Delaval Christian Lay Church

20th Century

A Town Hall on the Blyth Bus Station Site
An Interview With Blyth Battery Volunteers