Complete Article List

  • Pre Industrial

The Harbottle Drake Stone
Lordenshaws Hill Fort
Landholding in SE Northumberland Middle Ages
Chibburn Preceptory
Bothal Deer Park
The West Sleekburn Raid of 1449
Hirst Castle
Flodden - Flower of the Scottish Aristocracy
Bothal Lady Chapel
Boundary Stones
The Witches of... Northumberland
Mad Meg of Meldon
William Heslerigg of Swarland
Scarecrows and Traditions
Fox Cover
Sheepwash or Shipwash

18th Century - 19th Century

Seaton Sluice Bottleworks
Farms to Let
Bedlington Wagonways
Hartford Quarry House
Morpeth Racetrack
Hastings Pit
Dr Trotter of Bedlington
Seghill Colliery Manager
Belford Museum

Blyth Articles

In recent times Blyth has been a major port and industrial centre.

In medieval times the river was still as nature had created it, even being fordable at the modern quayside area. Small-scale coal mining took place around Blyth and Cowpen which fuelled a small salt-making industry. Fishing also took place from the natural harbour.

The investment made in the town by the new landholders of 1723, the Ridley family, was the start of the growth of modern Blyth. This was especially so into the second half of the 19th century with the creation of a deep harbour to handle the coal shipments from the productive deep mines being sunk in the area. Other trades accompanied this growth, including a major shipbuilding enterprise. The population and building development steadily increased until by the 21st century Blyth was home to 37,000 people.

River Blyth Connections
Various Blyth Facts and quirky Information
Blyth Statistics

Pre Industrial

Horton Castle
Newsham Mansion
Dollicks Pond at Cowpen
1552 Measures of Defence Against Reivers
Cowpen 1619 Division and Enclosure
Boundary Stones
Blyth under Attack from the Might of the Dutch Navy
Plessey Wagonway

19th Century

Ford across the River Blyth at Cowpen
Sidneys of Cowpen
Link House Blyth
Blyth during the Napoleonic Wars 1793-1815
Waterloo Road Blyth
Captain William Smith dicovery of Antartica Island
Bedlington Wagonways
Water Works
Cowpen Alkali Works
The Blyth Isabella Pit Early Days
George Baker Forster Viewer of Cowpen Colliery
The Thomas Knight Hospital and Medical Provision in Blyth
Blyth Quayside Heritage Trail
Seaton Delaval Collieries
Cinemas and Theatres of Blyth
Laying the Foundation Stone for Blyth Library
Rowing on the River Blyth
Opening of New Delaval Christian Lay Church

20th Century

A Town Hall on the Blyth Bus Station Site
An Interview With Blyth Battery Volunteers

Burradon Articles

The history of Burradon and Camperdown is a tale of two half's.

A small settlement had been established here by the 13th century. The roughly 540 acres of land that Burradon occupied were divided equally between the Ogle and Widdrington families who sub-let to various tenants as their residences were elsewhere in Northumberland. The fortunes of Burradon fluctuated especially during the period of Border warfare and reiving in the 14th-15th centuries. By the mid-16th century Burradonhad recovered and was at its greatest extent in terms of population size. The Ogle family then proceeded to buy out most of the other landholders. By the early 16th century they solely held the estate and started the process of enclosing the fields, making a modern farm settlement. A small tower house was built here in the 16th century and was occupied by the Ogle landholders.

The farm site continues to this day. However, in 1820 a coal mine was sunk about half-a-mile away from the old medieval village centre, leaving this as an isolated farmstead. The mine and the associated housing became what is now regarded as the centre of modern-day Burradon. The housing and amenities was also to spread out into the neighbouring area of Camperdown, which was in a different parish to Burradon.

It was a fairly typical pit village, but a colliery disaster in 1860 brought to prominence some exceptional men who would campaign for better conditions for their fellow pitmen and families...

  • Early History

  • Early Modern

  • Early 19th Century

  • 1860 Pit Disaster

  • 1860 -1914

  • 20th Century and Union Banner Project